Wednesday 9 October 2013

Hail, Caesar!

No not the rules but the man.  Caesar was painted for me by Andres at Einar Olafson, who has done a stunning job!  Please have a click.


Caesar himself is an interesting piece.  His horse is Foundry, his body Aventine, and his head Warlord.  


I painted the standard bearer.  In the heat of the action, he is carrying his shield the wrong way up...  The Aventine vexilla is really useful, I must have used 2 dozen of them, so far..  

So... Caesar will be leading the action on Sunday at SELWG.  If you are coming along and want to play in the very large Thapsus battle I'll be running twice (once each AM and PM), please drop me a line at the email address on the front page of my blog, and I'll book you in!  

15 comments:

Dalauppror said...

Hail, Caesar !!!

Indeed a stunning command diorama, lovely paint work by both you and Andres !

Hope you will have good time at SELWG, please bring back some nice picture:)

Best regards Michael

Caliban said...

Lovely. Are you collecting Caesars?

BigLee said...

A stunnig piece. Very nice indeed.

DeanM said...

Excellent work as always by Andres.

Jonathan Freitag said...

That is a very handsome command stand. Caesar is painted with much character.

Well done!

Secundus said...

Lovely stuff, he looks great!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks very much, chaps! I'm very pleased to have a Caesar at last.

Paul, your Caesar will be used, too. I might use him as a younger Caesar, or possibly as one of the Pompeians.

Best, Simon

Schrumpfkopf said...

~ancients~

I feel the need to dig something up!

Thank you for the inspiration!

Schrumpfkopf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BigRedBat said...

Schrumpkopf- I'm sure they will be very fine ancients!

Cyrus said...

Fantastic Caesar and standard bearer!

Prufrock said...

Great job!

The Kiwi said...

An excellent piece.
cheers

Sydney Viscous said...

Great painting and a fine job of basing the command, this recent set of Roman posts have proved invaluable to me as far as my first foray into ancients is concerned. Great stuff Simon.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps! I liked your Principes, Sydney, with the coloured pteurges.