Wednesday 24 July 2013

Shipbuilding III; the mothership!


Last night I laid the keel (metaphorically speaking, at it is a waterline model), of a larger vessel that will hopefully become a Roman merchantman.  The original "Nina" is on the deck for size comparison purposes.  The new kit is 42cm long, and will be rather longer once I've finished with it!

The new model will be based on the Zvezda St Thomas, a 1/72 medieval English warship kit.  I will use the hull and mast, as per the kit, discard the lovely castellated turrets, and add a bowsprit, cabin and a deck at the stern.  

This latest is a serious undertaking, and may not be ready in time for Partizan, but should be at Colours, hopefully alongside Legatus' Leviathan.  I may need to add more sea boards...  ;-)

9 comments:

Dalauppror said...

Interesing picture...greate size comparisson. I might have to get me a Zvezda St Thomas ship for my 15th centery project...

It will be interesting to follow your build.

Best regards Michael

The Lord of Excess said...

Great posts on this, extremely interesting as I've been eyeing these models myself now for awhile.

I have to say I am nothing but impressed with the Zvezda stuff (especially for their prices generally).

Thanks for the great posts!!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps- the quality of the Zvezda models is exceptional.

Shaun said...

nutter!
I'm seriously envious ;-)

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Shaun!

peter said...

Great work so far! And thanks for the comparison!

Greetings
Peter

BigRedBat said...

A pleasure!

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Looking at that St Thomas hull I reckon it would make a great basis for an Arab dhow....! Hmmm.... How do you waterline your models???

BigRedBat said...

Steve- carefully! ;-) with a small saw.

The Thomas comes waterlined, but I'd recommend a Nina, very dhow-like and with lateen sails.

Cheers Simon