Sunday 20 January 2013

Pikeys


These are the latest fruits of my Successor Pike mania; the units imaginatively named Phalanx 2 and Phalanx 3.  They are varnished and just need basing/flocking.

I've cut all the pikes to slightly different lengths, and they aren't all upright; I like this effect.

I started to paint the units around 3 years back, but have pulled the stops out over the last month.  I'm trying to paint 18 a week, but falling just a little short... but I think I can catch up due to recent purchase of Raglan's phalangites and getting some blocked in by a professional. The minis are Polemarch (mostly) and Foundry.  I really like the Foundry mini in the Sidon helmet, it paints up beautifully.

Just 384 left to do...  :-)

14 comments:

Secundus said...

Lovely work as always Simon. They will look amazing on the field and should create some book worthy pictures!

Handgrenadealien said...

I like the way you have grouped these in dense formations, the mass effect works really well.
Regards HGA.
PS Sadly the pikeys up the road from us look nothing like these:)

Paul´s Bods said...

Excellent.

DeanM said...

Very imposing phalanx. I like that one figure with the helmet looking like it's tilted back on the head. Best, Dean

Achilles said...

a really impressive sight! I love them!

I particularly like the bronze on the shields. Could you share your colour recipe?

Silver Whistle said...

Fantastic, keep them coming.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks, all!

Achilles, each batch of shields was done a bit differently, like in the Johnny Cash song "I did it one batch at a time". Buut in general they are painted vallejo Brass with a bit of dark bronze, mixed in, dry brush with vallejo bronze, highlight with bronze with burnished gold and overpainted with Army Painter Dark Tone.

Cheers, Simon

Michael Awdry said...

My word, that is a seriously impressive sight Sir!.

Tarty said...

Fantastic..... seriously impressive !

fireymonkeyboy said...

Looks so good . . . .

Millsy said...

Quantity has a quality all its own, especially when executed so well. Keep it up!

Schrumpfkopf said...

nice tight formation

Willie Anderson said...

I like the differing pike lenght really adds to the look!

Prufrock said...

384 to do? You're going to be giving me a severe case of pike envy!