Wednesday 30 January 2013

A lucky gap between his teeth...


This is something of a departure from my normal posts, as, by choice, my non-wargaming life rarely intrudes on this blog.  However, this is just too good an opportunity to pass up, as it features my father Dennis Miller (below), my mother Shirley (in the background), my very late Uncle Roy and the most of the  Royal Marine School of Music, in Portsmouth.  The below Youtube link explains all...


There is also a link to the BBC South News article.  Here’s a very dramatic link to the British Pathe news article about the loss of HMS Barham, in 1941.  And some more info about the Royal Marine Band School, who gave him a tremendous reception...

I wasn't able to be there on the day, due to the snow, but it has been great to see the links, and I think my dad carried it all off, very well!  He looks very much like a visiting retired General...

He has often observed that, if he hadn’t been born with a gap between his front teeth, then he would have been the other boy bugler on duty, opposite Roy, on the other side of the Barham’s bridge, that day.  They say it is lucky to be born with such a gap; I should add that I was born with one, too!

8 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

My second house backed on to the marine barracks at Eastney, and we often heard the band rehearsing....

BigRedBat said...

Hi Steve, as a child, I often visited Eastney, and Whale Island, too!

PatG said...

Great report - thanks for sharing.

DeanM said...

Wow - what an interesting and sad personal piece of history. Warm Regards, Dean

Ray Rousell said...

What an excellent piece of film, I bet your Dad was very proud, and so should he.

BigRedBat said...

Cheers chaps, my dad was absolutely delighted with the experience and with the coverage for his twin brother. Everyone involved (marines and media) was very kind.

Graham C said...

Brilliant, I remember going to Gosport when I was a kid and speaking to my Uncle Bill Sargeant who was on the Barham when she went down.
If I remember rightly he was 'sunk' twice in a short period of time although I can't recall the other ship.

drusty said...

My wife's uncle was a marine on the Barham. He managed to survive taking the ship's cat with him.