Friday 28 December 2012

My wargaming year


Firstly, I'd like to hope that all my visitors have had a very happy Xmas!  In the BigRedBatCave, the turkey carcass is now picked almost clean, the pudding eaten, and my thoughts naturally return to gaming (if, indeed, they ever left it!).  Today I'm reminding myself what I did this year, and tomorrow, hopefully, formulating my plans for next year.

I'm a bit of a home lover.  Every time I ever do one of those personality tests at work, they come up saying “under no circumstances should his work ever involve travel”.  Despite this, one of my unwritten objectives for 2012 was to get around the country a bit more, and I’ve managed three wargaming trips to the "lead belt", and one to Suffolk.


On the first trip in March I visited Roger, and played an excellent game of Borodino (above), the only big Napoleonic wargame I’ve ever experienced.  I painted a lot of figures for this, which have sadly not been used since.  I’ve also failed to complete my planned cavalry brigade, largely due to not having any imminent plans for using in anger, and my napoleonic blog has been "resting".

In May I visited Salute.  I wasn't running a game, so had more time than usual to wander around, and catch up with old friends.  My favourite game was the Victrix 54mm Napoleonic bash, shown below, but, as ever, there were some lovely display games there.



May also marked my first visit (hopefully of very many) to Partizan, where I very much enjoyed re-fighting Heraclea (above) with Craig and The Aventines.  Fantastic armies!  I had so much fun, I went North for a second time in September, to re fight the battle of Ad Castores, using Dr Phil’s new Augustus to Aurelian rules, my Early Imperial Roman army and a great deal of simulated Italian vegetation.  Finally, in November, I visited Simon “Comitatus” MacDowell in his Suffolk fastness, and played a very enjoyable game of the Battle of Chalons, using his beautiful 15mm collection (below).  

 
Life on the home front has been somewhat difficult, with the sad loss of my father-in-law, with associated inquest, probate, will, house sale, flat purchase and move for my mother-in-law.  This, amongst other challenges, have badly disrupted my local gaming activities and consequently I’ve played fewer games this year than in any recent year.  I’ll need to sort that, in 2013.

On the plus side, I have managed a fair bit of painting, repainting and basing.  I completed 28 units, the majority of 24 infantry; perhaps 450 miniatures in total.  Altogether this is rather fewer miniatures than I had hoped, but they were mostly of excellent quality (the Goths, below, are a particular favourite of mine).  


In terms of my modelling objectives I partially achieved 2, completing most of my Napoleonic French cavalry Brigade, and most of what I planned for my Early Imperial Romans 60/60/60 project; now only short 150 legionaries.  I’ll need to revisit the Romans, at least, in the summer.  I completely failed to paint anything for Runequest, my third objective.  Despite the work, the lead mountain grew by an alarming 661 unpainted metal miniatures, and now boasts a substantial plastic foothill.  I also sold off my old Viking army which raised funds to offset some of my all-too-numerous eBay and other hobby purchases, and made a little space for my recent painting.

Tomorrow; looking ahead to 2013!

13 comments:

Prufrock said...

Very sorry to hear of trouble on the home front, Simon. I hope that 2013 is much better for you and your family.

All the best,
Aaron

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Sorry about your father in law and I hope your mother in law is taking it ok. Hopefully 2013 will be brighter year for you and your family.

Looking forward as always to your projects!

Christopher

legatus hedlius said...

Always enjoy looking at your splendid forces and envy you your focus!

Best wishes for the New Year!

Stephen

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps, it was a bit of an Annus Horriblis, but 2013 will be better. It should be a stonker for wargames, too!

Cheers, Simon

DeanM said...

Fantastic photos of equally fantastic games. Condolences on your loss in 2012 and hope for the best in 2013. Dean

Anonymous said...

Goodbye 2012, hello 2013. I look forward to more BigRedBatCave activities.

Salute
von Peter himself

Iowa Grognard said...

I'll be looking forward to another year of your pursuits here at the cave and over at the ulcer.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps! I'm sure we'll all have bags of wargaming fun, in 2013.

Cheers, Simon

Millsy said...

By almost any other standard besides your own that would be a most productive year sir. Thanks for sharing your achievements, they are a great inspiration!

Cheers,
Millsy

Foss1066 said...

Big Red- your blog posts and amazing gift of prolific painting and writing were a boon to me throughout the year. It may not be much, but you've made my life richer to be sure.
Thank you and here's hoping for a better year in MMXIII

Regards,
Thomas

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps- very kind words- much appeciated!

Simon

Bluewillow said...

all the best with your projects this year Simon!

cheers
Matt

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Matt, and best wishes for yours, too! Simon