Thursday 23 August 2012

Cypresses and poplars


For a couple of years I've coveted a grove of pencil-thin cypress trees, and have finally gotten around to getting one!

I want to give the Partizan "Ad Castores" game an Italian feel, and so needed some Mediterranean trees to line Roman roads and bulk out forests.  Consequently I've bought 25 cypresses (front) and 25 poplars (rear).  The cypresses and rear right poplars are from The Model Tree Shop, who gave an extremely prompt service; the rear left poplars from eBay.  I've based them all on mdf disks, which took a couple of evenings work.  When time permits I'll add some scatter and flock to the bases.  Figures are to give an idea of scale.

The terrain on Sunday will include olive groves, cypresses, poplars and my new vineyards, and so I trust it will look suitably rural!

12 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

That's some great trees! I'll keep that in mind for our Pyhrric/Roman project!:-)

Christopher

Guidowg said...

You can never have enough terrain, the more trees the better I say!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks both.

I think most wargamers (me included) spend too high a proportion of their modelling time on minis, compared to terrain. I'm going to try to fit more terrain in, and have specific terrain for different climates, rather than generic.

Cheers, Simon

Dalauppror said...

Looking very good !

Best regards Michael

Ray Rousell said...

Great looking trees!!!

John Lambshead said...

Very nice looking models. Good terrain really enhances a game.

Sam Wise said...

nice trees!
(I had a look on the webshop you mentioned: are the trees already made??? if yes, they are very cheap!)

BigRedBat said...

Thanks!

Sam, yes they are very reasonable. My tip would be to buy one size longer than you think you need, as the trunks need to be cut down.

The eBay ones were even cheaper; came on tacky plastic bases I threw away.

Scottswargaming said...

Thanks for the heads up, they look great.

Tarty said...

You can never have enough trees, they're nice !

Michael Awdry said...

Very nice indeed, I've used Model Tree Shop myself and can echo your comments on their excellent service.

legatus hedlius said...

Nice trees! I must get some. I certainly don't spend enough time on scenery which means, as a consequence, that I hardly do any gaming.

Maybe I should do a scenic piece next!