Thursday 21 April 2011

Martenses Seniores

And here is my second Auxilia unit, the Martenses Seniores, another Legiones Comitatenses shield design.   Again, lovely shield painting work from the anonymous eBayer.


Again I've based them so that I can deploy them in line (above) or cuneus (below).  Pics are clickable.


Inspired by the period, I've decided to paint up half a dozen huns that I prepped and undercoated around 2 years ago.  There is nothing sadder than a primed figure waiting to be painted, and gradually getting more and more chipped...  I'll be ready if the Society of Ancients pick Chalons for next year!

If anyone wants to swap some unpainted Foundry Late Romans, I'm after some... 

7 comments:

adeptgamer said...

They look fantastic. Those shields must have taken considerable time to finish!

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Lovely looking unit!!

Cheers
Christopher

kendo said...

lost in admiration

Paul´s Bods said...

Very colourfull and yep...those shileds look great
Cheers
paul

Secundus said...

These look lovely. Who are you going to paint up to fight them...that's the next big question.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks all!

Hi Secundus, I put a brush to some Huns last night, I have 4 or 5 units worth of them, painted, and at least as many unpainted.

I also have a good-sized Pictish army (15+ units) which I painted some years ago, and which will feature here soon, when I finish off the last unit.

Trouble is, I need a lot more late Romans before I can game...

Vinnie said...

very nice figures