Monday 29 November 2010

Somewhere in Tonkin...

2 companies of French Colonial Infantry cross a dusty field, supported by some medium machine guns and a mortar, somewhere in Tonkin (French Indochina), c. 1953.


These are my recently reconditioned 20mm Platoon20 French Indo-China War infantry.  The paint jobs are a bit basic but they look good from about 30cm away, so who cares!  They are organised in 2 companies of 2 platoons each (apparently the French adopted this organisation because of a lack of men and junior officers).
I've gone with a representative scale of 1:4. 


Next I need to paint a second company of Viet Minh so that they have someone to fight, and a hex-based rule system.  I am hoping that I'll be able to get a relatively simple system working; somehting more complex than Memoir '44, but simpler than Tide of Iron, and with local flavour.

3 comments:

DeanM said...

Great looking unit. Love the personal touches - scarves and some with camo jackets. Dean

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Dean! Apparently uniforms in units were very mixed, indeed, until the US started supplying the French, later on. So I've mixed lots of colours and some camouflage patterns.

When I do para's, next year, they will be much more uniform.

The Angry Lurker said...

Nice stuff as always.