Wednesday 16 September 2009

Aventine Hastati Completed

Last night I finished the first of 2 units of Hastati.  With the quicker painting method, and the red primer, they took 15 painting/basing sessions, comparing favourably with the 20-odd for the Triarii.
This is another unit that looks better from behind!  I do like the active pose of these Aventine minis.

...and here they are with the earlier Triarii.  I think the LBMS shield designs set them off, nicely.

Only another 80 minis to go to complete the legion!  Gulp.

10 comments:

BigLee said...

Fantastic looking models.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Big Lee! Have been enjoying your blog.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Your army is looking good,keep it up.

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Most excellent work. I need to try that red primer technique the next time I paint minis with red tunics!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks; any red auto primer should do it. I use black, grey, red, white or brown spray primers, as the occasion demands.

Consul said...

I'm impressed! And thanks for the last picture! It's great to see units together, really gives a sense of numbers and uniformity.

80 minis to go eh? I'm sure you'll have to completed by next week with this new painting method ;)

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Consul. 80 minis = roughly 80 nights painting. Gulp.

Consul said...

I wish you all the best with it! Your continued posting is a great help and brings enjoyment to many people.

foot1642 said...

lovely work - what paints do you use for the helmets please, as have come out very nice

BigRedBat said...

Hi there, an old post!

They are painted vallejo brass over another vallejo dark or antique bronze (can't recall the exact name). There might be a little black ink on them, I can't recall, and there is a thick layer of gloss varnish over the top of the helmets.

Cheers, Simon