Wednesday 26 August 2009

Hasty Hastati

I'm about to start my second unit of Aventines, this time Hastati. I spent far too long on the previous Triarii at 3 weeks, and have decided that I need to get this lot finished in around 2 weeks. To this end I'm going with a red primer, as I used with the Galatians back in the Spring- I'm hoping this will save me a few days! Also the figures are much less complex to paint than the Triarii.

The Aventine figures again prepped very quickly, having very little flash. I'm not a great fan of attached spears, but the hands are open and do provide a firm cup into which to glue them into (unlike some Gripping Beast figures, for example).

I'm finishing basing the Tegeans (from July) tonight; Hastati painting starts tomorrow...

3 comments:

Chicago Terrain Factory said...

What are you using for the colored primer? Is it standard commercial grade spray paint, or do you have a source/brand for hobby/art grade primer?

BigRedBat said...

Hi there, it's a red spray primer used on cars in the UK. It adhere's very well to the minis; it is possibly slightly coarse, but I find it good to paint over.

I hope it'll be a good base for both the flesh tones and also for the red tunics....

Andrey said...

Dynamical figures. These Hastati will well add the Roman legions.